Sunday, January 25, 2009

Change

When you think about the word 'change', what comes to your mind? Leftover coins? A different set of clothes that would be more appropriate? Diapers? A mixing up of your normal routine? 
A candidate in this year's presidential election ran his campaign on the theme of "Change" - but is change good? Does one really want change in their lives?

We are constantly changing - growing older and all the fun things that come with that. The idea of having the same day-to-day routine can sound dull and boring, but it can also sound comforting at the same time. I guess when it comes to change it all depends on your perspective and the type of change you're talking about. Change can be very unsettling, but change can be good. I just saw a
 friend's Facebook status that said she was "excited about change."

This past week I have not been excited about change. First I hear that my principal will no longer be my principal (not his choice). Then I hear that my job will not be the same next year and that I may be back in the classroom. I'm OK with that. It's just that I am called upon to do many things at work and wonder how all of it will get done next year if my primary responsibility is a room full of students.

When change is disconcerting, an aspect of God's character comes to my mind. He is eternal, unchanging. Psalm 136 speaks of God's love enduring forever. Isaiah 40:8 says that "The grass withers and the flowers fall, but the word of our God stands forever." Those are comforting words. 

When change is necessary or has a positive aspect to it, it usually is seen as something that will result in improvements or a better condition than previously experienced. The apostle Paul writes in 2 Corinthians 3:18 "But we all, with unveiled face, beholding as in a mirror the glory of the Lord, are being transformed into the same image from glory to glory, just as by the Spirit of the Lord." We are becoming more and more like Christ. How are we being transformed? God's Holy Spirit living inside those of us who have been called by Christ and are trusting Him does the work. As we read the Bible we will be "transformed by the renewing of our minds" (Romans 12:2). We will no longer be thinking like the world but we will have the Christ (1 Corinthians 2:16).

That is really cool. That is change that I can look forward to. That is change that I can handle. And when it seems like the change that is coming is too much to bear, I know that God's love for me will never change and His plans will always be for my good.

No comments: