Friday, June 10, 2011

Birthdays


Yesterday I celebrated the big 5-0. It was one of the best birthdays I've ever had - right up there with my 40th. It's hard to top a weekend at a beach house in Cambria with a drive up Highway 1 in a convertible rental car. The highlights of this 50th celebration were:
  1. My wife surprised me at work with a party that involved the people from my district office. I'm so clued out that I didn't notice everyone was wearing yellow, my favorite color.
  2. I had over 160 birthday wishes on Facebook from friends, family, former students, co-workers, and my church family. Through all of those messages I felt God's unconditional love and blessings. That was probably the best birthday gift of all time!
  3. Thursday night we had our first networker dinner and meeting with our three networkers. Again, everyone was wearing yellow and we had All-American Chocolate cake from Costco. It was great to take a short break from the diet (or life-style change) and I didn't feel guilty.
50 or half a century sounds so old. But I really don't feel old at all. It is amazing how fast the time is starting to fly. It seems like only yesterday that I was in college, getting married, having babies. Now they're getting married or approaching college.

My brother-in-law reminded me that I'm closer to Jesus than I was to being born. That's true, but what does it matter when I'm with Him for eternity? 

"So, put another candle on your birthday cake, you're another year old today!"

Fortunately this didn't happen to me, but this is a funny commercial.


No comments: