Sunday, June 12, 2011

The Simple Life

Today in high school youth group and in "big" church I heard words that had a theme for today. They were words like 'genuine' and 'sincere.' I have always tried to be unassuming and real with not only myself but with everyone. Hopefully those who know me would say that "what they see in me is what they get."

I'm now 50 years old and don't understand why some people make life so complicated or see things in others that may or may not be there. I can't be anyone else than myself and it's taken me this long to be really comfortable with who I am. We can easily be deceived about who we are and fool ourselves by looking at others and thinking we're not so bad off. Jeremiah 17:9 says that "the heart is deceitful above all things and beyond cure. Who can understand it?" I need to keep that in mind. God knows the hearts of all and more importantly, He knows my heart.

The apostle Paul refers to the Church in 1 Corinthians 12 as the Body of Christ. He uses this analogy to illustrate the relationship that we have one to another in Christ and also how we are a representation of Christ here on earth.

One of the things that is great about being a member of the Body of Christ is that I am one of many members that make up the whole with Christ as the head. In the body of Christ, there is diversity and when we are all functioning correctly, everything goes smoothly. Just as a physical body gets injured or sick, so does the body of Christ. I'm a musician not a medical student (even though I accidently took a pre-med biology class my freshman year at UCLA). I can't figure things on my own nor can I function alone. I need to be in relation with others. There is no benefit to doing things on your own. I guess that's one of the reasons that I'm a tuba player. By myself, it's pretty boring. But with a whole band or orchestra, my part becomes part of a larger whole that is much better than if I play solo.

I know that this may sound very general and perhaps I'm rambling on, but it troubles me when the Body of Christ is hurt and not functioning the way it should. I'm being vague on purpose. I guess I'll stop now otherwise I can become self absorbed and think I'm something special.

You've probably seen those motivational posters at corporate offices or schools. I found Demotivators and they really make me laugh because many of them are true. I bought this one a couple of years ago and it sits somewhere near my work area. Maybe I'll edit this blog entry later this week and post it. It reminds me that we are all unique and yet, we're the same.

No comments: