Monday, May 2, 2011

Day 1 of the 17 Day Diet

Did you ever notice how many food commercials there are on TV? This morning I was running late so I skipped my green tea and scrambled eggs for some non-fat yogurt mixed with sugar-free strawberry jam. By 9:15 A.M. my tummy was talking. Lunch was some tuna, with a little egg, plus a pickle and some carrots. I also drank about 3 quarts of water today. Every time I was hungry I tried to drown my hunger. It worked for a bit but then my bladder took over. I visited the loo more times today than I can remember. Dinner was barbecued chicken and a salad.

The hardest part of this is saying "no" to my desires to fill my face. I know that most of it is in my mind and I think that is where the battle will take place. Yesterday I said that I never denied myself anything to eat. Eating is good and there is definite pleasure in eating things. However there is a lot of truth in having too much of a good thing. It got me to thinking why I do what I do. In the book of Romans Paul wrote that there was this battle within him. On the one hand what he wants to do he doesn't, and what he doesn't want to do he does (Romans 7:15). he goes on to say that Christ will deliver him (and me!).

So, when I get hungry, instead of satisfying myself with food, I'll turn to Christ. 1 Corinthians 10:31 Paul writes, "So, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all for the glory of God." It will be difficult, but not impossible.

No comments: