Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Day 8 of the 17 Day Diet - 12 pounds and losing

It feels longer than 8 days but the calendar doesn't lie. I slipped once - ate at Chik-Fil-A on Saturday on the way to the airport in Denver. I didn't have this sudden craving nor did a feel like going on a carb binge and eat all kinds of stuff. However I did feel like eating all kinds of stuff when we were shopping for vegetables.

It's been tough at times. Habits and desires for food have been strong at times. I've been hungry around meal times - but shouldn't that be the right time to be hungry? I am already noticing some benefits. My pants and shirts are not so tight. That's pretty cool as I was staring to feel like the Pillsbury Doughboy. In 9 more days the diet changes. I think it won't be so restrictive, in any case, I'll need to stay disciplined and deliberate about what I eat and when I eat. I do know that I don't take food for granted and seem to enjoy what I eat more. At times I've been a real whiner, but it's partly in fun.

Another benefit that I'm noticing that I wake up starving. This not only motivates me to get out of bed quickly, but I haven't been skipping breakfast. Today we had meetings at school and there were snacks everywhere - peanut and chocolate granola bars, bite-size chocolates...my stomach is growling as I type this. The facilitator was passing out chocolate late in the afternoon and asked, "Who wants a Baby Ruth? Who wants a Snickers? Who wants a Butterfinger?" I wanted them all so bad but didn't take a bite.

Temptation is everywhere but as someone pointed out, I'm not on a diet, I'm changing my lifestyle. The next thing I need to do is somehow carve out the time for exercising. As the days grow longer and warmer, the opportunities will increase. It really helps going through this with Wendi. It would be nearly impossible if I were doing this alone. Accountability makes all the difference in the world.

No comments: