Saturday, May 28, 2011

A Disciplined Life

Well, it's been a while since I last checked in. I have now lost a total of 26 pounds and have learned quite a few things. The most important thing so far is that discipline is a good thing. By being careful and regimented about what I eat, I'm also finding carry over in other areas. This may sound funny but I'm flossing my teeth a couple of times a week - up from never. I've also started a bible reading program.

Last week I got an iPad at work. I found a bible app and downloaded it so that I could spend time in the Word. It came with many bible reading programs and I found one to help me read the Word every day. I'll let you know how that goes.

I'm not starving, just having a hard time denying myself. I'm not going to kid myself - I do miss things like chocolate, bread, cookies, etc. but I believe that in time I'll be able to have those things in moderation. I need to start exercising but time has been a factor.

The writer of Hebrews wrote, "No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it." (Heb. 12:11) Although in the context of the passage, he is referring to the Believer's struggle with sin and God's disciplining us to be more like Him, it could also apply to my situation. 


I've been craving these.
Up until now I have never said "no" to myself and have eaten whatever I wanted whether or not I needed it. In eating for the sheer pleasure of it, I forgot what the purpose of food is. Really? Yes, really! Now I eat because I'm hungry and when I do eat, I enjoy it. My knees aren't sore, my clothes fit better and I feel younger.


Will I ever have a Tru-Blu cookie again? Probably, but as a treat, not to satisfy desire to feel better. In the meantime, I need to continue on with this change in lifestyle.

1 comment:

Amy Carlisle said...

Thank you for this! Needed to hear it today. Struggling with my eating this week. Wondering if I will ever truly rid my life of gluttony. With the Lords help, of course.